Skip to main content

Indian Saris: Saree Wear & its meaning for Indian Girls

Saree wear is a real dilemma. How to wear Kerala sarees is another dilemma we tend to have. The typical Kerala saree wear was in the two piece format - the set and the mundu but thankfully, we also have the full length kerala saree as an alternative now. Wondering why I am unsually talking about saree wear on my blog? Here's a guy's version of how men dress  traditionally for Onam, do read it. 

Well, the festive occasion of Onam is just around the corner. For Keralites across the world, it is an emotionally high 'home-coming' occasion. You could be in New York or in Dallas or in London or Paris or Johnannesberg or New Delhi or Chennai or Calcutta, but you are not going to sit back and eat doughnuts or pizzas on Onam day. You also won't want to slip into casual T-shirt and jeans on Onam. 

Maybe it is a psychological thing but I have seen that worldwide, Malayalils revisit their memories, their longstanding love and nostalgia for Kerala and their own cultural roots during the season of Onam in particular.

Saree Wear and its meaning for Indians
Saree wear is an important part of a girl's transition into womanhood. It is not merely the donning of a dress. It is the blossoming and celebration of womanhood. For the same reason, an Indian girl is unlikely to forget the first time she wore a saree. Years later, she would still remember the exact moment, the exact colors and textures of the fabric that celebrated and honored her beauty in a very special way. 

Typically, the day an Indian girl first wears her saree is almost a celebrated moment in her family. Culturally, saree wear also marked a subtle invitation to other families that yes, the girl of this house is blossoming into a woman and yes, you can come forward with marriage proposals, we may consider it. From then on, a girl may find reasons to wear sarees. It could be a wedding in the family, a temple festival or even a formal school farewell where you sign off from that period that you associated with your growing years.

Indian Designer Sarees remind me of pulp fiction
Indian designer sarees are a big rage and yes, they are probably spun by some of the best and most talented designers in the fashion industry. You can just walk into any fine saree shop and you will be confused by the rich range of Indian designer sarees that you can choose from. There's just so much to choose from. Hats off to these designers who have given Indian saree wear a new lease of life and lots of incredibly creative options to choose from. I respect that. However, it doesn't work for me because I am old fashioned and narrow minded in my thinking about saree wear.

Personally, I love to wear Kancheevaram sarees and sorry, I am too old fashioned to ever consider wearing an Indian designer saree. I have a decent collection of Kancheevaram sarees and I can never resist them. The flip side is that most of them are very heavy and therefore, it is difficult to wear them with grace and poise. Most of my friends admire Kancheevaram sarees but when it comes to wearing them, they don't want to carry so much 'weight' on their frames so they opt for the Indian designer sarees. Till date, the Indian designer sarees have neither caught my interest nor my curiosity. Unfortunately, I see them in the same light that I see pulp fiction.

Classic Kancheevaram Sarees are like poetry in silk
The classic Kancheevarams win my heart totally. A Kancheevaram saree makes me go dizzy in the head because I can never resist the sheer richness of the timeless, beautifully crafted Kancheevaram. When I see a Kancheevaram, I can just close my eyes and get into the heart and soul of its weaver because you can experience the weaver's pain and joy in the design of the Kancheevaram saree. I believe that every thread of the Kancheevaram saree is crafted with an artist's dream of accomplishing something remarkable for another human being and it represents the artist's passion for exquisite details. It's like being able to wear a poem, not merely a spun garment.  



When you wear a Kancheevaram, you feel like you have stepped out of a painting because the colors are so rich and deep and best of all, the colors define your personality so well. It's not about how you look but it's more about how a Kancheevaram saree makes you look and feel about your own self. It makes you feel like royalty and when you wear a Kancheevaram saree, you cannot be any less. 

So, what type of saree wear do you like? Remember the first saree you wore or that you bought? What was it like? 

Other Popular Posts
Gayatri Mantra as Panchamukhi 
Gayatri Mantra: Why Chant It 
Food in Hinduism & its spiritual significance
Four Paths to Divinity in Hinduism
How to practice silence and learn from it

Comments

Abhilash Pillai said…
Happy Onam Swapna. It was a nice post and thanks for adding a Tag.
Mom with a Dot said…
Kancheevaram's are the BEST. My first saree was a Jade green Venkatagiri Cotton saree with lots of zari on it and my sister wore the same saree in navy blue.
Oldfox004 said…
I wore my first saree on the last day of school for the Farewell day function. I dont know where it was from but it was a deep red with fresh dark green bordered silk saree with peacocks for motifs...it is still there at my mother's place and its so beautiful!

I last wore a saree during Durga Puja last year and it was also the fist time i had worn a saree on my own! I have 3 Kancheevaram's too but not finding any occasion to wear them:(

Thank you for sharing about sarees...you really refreshed me this Sunday...got to bring out all my sarees for some 'airing' now:) Happy belated Onam to you and ur family!
samol shehub said…
Hi, This is a wonderful post about sari. I have found many information's from this post. However here is also most nice sari collections wedding saree.Thank your for sharing.
Superb piece of writing about being healthy this spring shared !!! I just wanted to comment your blog and say that I really loved reading your blog post here. It was very informative. I like it and try to keep these tips about Work Sarees for Onam. Keep it up and I’ll be back to read more soon.
The most famous South Indian sarees are none other than the Kancheevaram silk sarees. These exquisite silk sarees are woven with silver threads dipped in pure gold. Known to be durable and expensive, these sarees are popular all over the world. One of the most distinguishing features of the Kancheevaram Sarees includes its thick silk base.

Nice blog post. Thanks for sharing.
Goon shopping said…
Nice blog you have share, thanks i really appreciate your work.

Enjoy wearing the designer sarees, bollywood sarees suits and many more at goonshopping. Buy shop online Sarees at a very affordable rates and look stunning at party and other occasions.

Most Popular Posts

The Ugly Truth about Caste in Kerala

Many years ago, when I wrote this post on Kerala's caste system, I had not considered the possibility that my thoughts and my personal journey would receive such online abuse or that I would be seen as some one who was trying to insult other castes. The intention of writing is always to share an experience and not to insult others. My experience of motherhood and marriage would be different from yours. When I write about my experience, it is illogical to shout that as being insulting to your experience because our journeys are entirely different narratives. 

My question is - why do you ABUSE any caste or person here? You are free to disagree but why do you ABUSE? How does that reflect on YOU?

In my article, I shared what trials I went through, without any intention to insult any community.The intention of my article is to question - why are we even exchanging insults over an issue called caste? 

Should we not be aspiring to be above caste considerations instead of abusing each other …

Mahamrityunjaya Mantra: Meaning, Benefit of Chanting and Who can Chant the Mantra

There are very few mantras that are as powerful as the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra. [ALSO READ: How to NEVER EVER GIVE UP on the spiritual path]

Mahamrityunjaya Mantra: Benefit of chanting this mantra
This mantra is believed to have the power to remove all sufferings, diseases and bestow the one who chants it with good health and long life. It is also believed that constant contemplation of the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra can help spiritual aspirants to overcome the cycle of birth and death.
What got me fascinated about this mantra is something personal.  I learned this mantra from my father but it is my maternal grandmother who chanted it all the time and repeatedly told me of its tremendous power to protect. However, I did not chant this mantra regularly. [ Do READ: THE POWER OF LOVE]
But at the age of two, my son was taught some mantras by my mother who explained what it means to him and he became very enthusiastic about chanting the mantras. Following this, my mother taught him the Maha Mrity…

Amazing Signs You are an Earth Angel

Doreen Virtue’s book, “Assertiveness for Earth Angels” brings to life the reality of Earth Angels in very easy way. It’s an exciting must-read! 

[DO READ: The POWER OF LOVE]

Earth Angels have amazing superpowers in: MusicArtsWriting HealingManifesting miracles for others such as controlling weather conditions and  becoming invisible at will.
[MUST READ: A Dad's Advice to the Daughter He loves]
DO READ: ASK MORE, FEAR LESS.

How to Identify Earth Angels by their Traits
To know whether you are an Earth Angel, take a look at their known traits that are explained in this book:


You have a graceful and compassionate aura that inspires people.Your presence “lifts” everyone to happier spirits – it is proof of who you really are.You don’t judge others but you overdo the “acceptance” bit. So, you tolerate even those who show no respect for boundaries.You cannot stand anyone suffering or being in pain. You are constantly “rescuing people” because it is in your nature to want to see everyone happy in …

Top 10 Skincare tips for Summer

Come summer, and we women worry a lot about how the sun lashes out on our skin. True, skincare tips for the summer are plenty but what about the hushed secrets - yes, those tried and tested family secrets that are passed on from mother to daughters? [ALSO READ: How to NEVER EVER GIVE UP on the spiritual path]




Here are some that are totally easy to do. Best of all, these are effective and bring on a feel-good factor in the peak of summer.

1. Replace water with rosewater. It keeps your skin luminous and fragrant throughout the day. It's a good toner too.

2. Cleanse your skin by combining these ingredients - honey, milk, rosewater/rosepetals and turmeric. Add a dash of olive oil and yes, it feels wonderful.

3. Almond oil body baths are a must-have! You will smell delicious all day. This summer, skip all those body lotions & moisturizers! You will love the way almond oil pampers your skin all day!

4. Use a mixture of almond oil and olive oil for your feet. Your feet will sparkle an…

Childhood is the best part of life

Memories have a funny way of coming back into my head, sometimes when I am about to get ready to go to work or sometimes like a flash from the past. It happens to me all the time - swathes of childhood memories flooding back. This time, as the first touches of winter began to make itself felt in Delhi, I went on a trip to Goa with my son and close friends. From the moment I landed in Goa till I got back, I was on a happy high, like a teenager who's going on a much awaited holiday.  Let me tell you a funny thing. I even went and bought myself a swimming costume to wear for the first time since my teenage years but guess what? The funniest part comes now - I never got to wear it. Maybe the idea was just to feel like a teenager again as I am growing older, not wiser! Hahaha!  [MUST-READ: Mahashivaratri - I'm loving it!]



[Image: Pexels]

The Goa trip was an incredible experience that took me back to where I really came from, where my heart has always been - Blantyre. That's where…

A Dad's advice to the daughter he loves: Be yourself, remember you are special and treasure your strengths

Just a week ago, Dad gave me a very emotional pep talk at the Bangalore airport. The good thing is that whenever I feel emotionally vulnerable or stressed out, I replay Dad's conversation. It lifts me up and instantly brings a huge smile to my face. That's my Dad - yeah! 




As a teenager, Bangalore used to be one of my favorite cities though the garden city was not as ''global'' and ''vibrant'' as it is today. It was a pretty cool place to go shopping for stylish accessories, not that I could splurge and go crazy with shopping but I could do so on a limited budget. So, I used to look forward to our summer trips to Bangalore, from where we would head out to Whitefield. 

The busy, broad streets, the scent of street food and the vibrant atmosphere had always perked me up every time I reached Bangalore. Be it heading to Puttaparthi or Whitefield, my parents and I have traveled to Bangalore so many times that it became a kind of ''routine'…

How to start your day happy in 7 easy steps

I love to start my day with a smile. So, I have a couple of happiness routines that I like to follow.  Sit up. Pause. Contemplate. The first thing that I do is I sit up, slowly and close my eyes, hold my palms up with love and gratitude as "Namaskar" to my Guru.  Express gratitude. Thank Earth. Before I step on the ground with my feet, I bend down and ask forgiveness and loving energy from Mother Earth for trampling on her all day. I convey my gratitude that the ground beneath my feet keeps me and my loved ones safe.
Sing a song over a cup of tea And while I brew tea, I sing kirtans. If I don't sing kirtans, I play it on my phone so that the energy stays divine and hopefully, seeps into my first cup of tea.  Rewind to the 80s' childhood days. When I was growing up, I always woke up to a very cheerful, energized home environment.  My mother would be in the kitchen, cooking a nutritious breakfast and supervising every little detail - whether my dad's shirt was ironed, whet…

Six Happiness Lessons I learned from a Baby in a Boutique

Happiness is a strange thing, at least in my life. It is always the little things that bring a big smile to my face, not that I have any big things lined up in my life.  But I must confess that happiness is not what I expected to feel when I popped into the neighborhood's busiest boutique! 
[READ: A Dad's Advice to the Daughter He Loves]


Last evening, I had just dropped in to collect some materials that I had given for stitching at the boutique. Besides long traffic jams on the route,  I was stressed out. I needed to complete some paperwork at the private bank and that had just got done at the last minute. I had to pick up groceries on the way and the list was pretty long. Then I had to reach my son before a certain time as per schedule.
So, when I spotted a baby in the boutique, I felt instantly happy.  As our gazes locked, the three-month-old beauty began to smile, stretch her tiny palms to me and our eyes locked for several minutes.  She began to push herself more towards me…

Mumbai Police Movie Review: Prithviraj breaks the typical 'hero' mold, challenges sexual stereotyping

Exploring a completely different dimension in his latest film Mumbai Police, Director Rosshan Anddrews delivers a fast-paced, thriller film after his award winning fims such as Udayananu Tharam, Notebook and others.



To flesh out the script written by Boby Sanjay, Rosshan Anddrews ropes in actors such as Prithviraj, Rahman and Jayasurya to portray three police officers: Antony Moses, Farhan and Aryan respectively.
The story begins with a phone call that Antony Moses (starring Prithviraj) makes to Farhan (starring Rahman) saying that he has solved the murder mystery of Aryan (starring Jayasurya). Just as he says this, there is an accident and Antony Moses loses his memory. From then, Farhan's attempt is to take Antony through people and places that are likely to trigger his memory so that they can solve the murder of their close friend and colleague Aryan. A series of events happen, almost hurtling us towards it.
And I am taking the liberty to hand out trophies for the following:
'M…

Conversation with a friend: How to deal with the death of a loved one and Three Lessons I learned

The simplest lessons are always the toughest to learn.This December, a classmate passed away and I was totally shocked to hear the news. Another shock came my way. I heard that another classmate's husband had passed away and when I received the news, I felt very deeply for her.
[Image: Pexels.com]
1. Reach Out, Show You Care and Be Honest
For me, my classmate is someone whom I had shared countless jokes and conversations with when we were young. Our conversations and happy moments have never faded though we have become different individuals with completely different journeys in life.  So, yes, I plucked up the courage to call and show that I am with my friend through this moment of grief. The experience of the conversation we had humbled me like a lesson of life and the blessing was that I felt much lighter within. 

2. Honour the need of others to grieve in their way
I believe that the ''body'' alone perishes but not the soul. I don't offer my beliefs  to those who …